November 22, 2014

New Shanghai, Ashfield

I’ve been craving dumplings ever since finishing finals, so I headed back to New Shanghai. Thanks to a renovation, it stands out in the midst of its somewhat similarly named neighbours (think: New Shanghai, Shanghai Night, and Taste of Shanghai). With memories of how nice I thought it was last time I was here and the knowledge that it belongs to a family of good restaurants, I waited outside for 25 minutes to be seated.

While waiting for a table, I spent my time staring into the kitchen. The ‘dumpling guardians’ (as I like to call them) work quickly and quietly, measuring out dough and making each dumpling identical. This style of open kitchen seems to be really popular amongst restaurants known for dumplings. It’s the kind of thing that can momentarily distract you from your stomach yelling “feed me!”
New Shanghai xiao long bao - 8pcs ($7.80)
There’s something comforting about soupy pork dumplings when you’re not entirely sure if you passed your exam. When the steamer arrives, everybody gets their little parcel and dips it into a mix of soy sauce and vinegar. The challenge for me is in popping the slightly thicker wrapper and catching all of the soup in my spoon. I’ve tasted meatier broths, but that doesn’t stop me from ordering seconds for our table.
Shepherd’s purse and pork wonton - 10pcs ($9.80)
Shepherd’s Purse is a wild vegetable often used in Shanghainese cooking. I think it has a bit of a peppery flavour which works with meat. Peanut butter and chili oil with wontons is a good thing. I wish the wrappers were a little thinner though…
Braised dry tofu with black mushroom soaked in soy sauce ($6.80)
Cold pieces of tofu packed with a salty, umami flavour? Yes please! The dry tofu has taken in so much liquid and become a delicious, juicy sponge (weird description, but pretty accurate). I would actually quite enjoy this as a snack.
Pork belly braised overnight in sweet soy sauce ($16.80)
A big pot of braised pork belly (rinds on) comes out and my first reaction is “this whole thing is filled with pork!?” Nope, the big pot is filled with hot water to keep the little pot of pork, and the surprise bok choy underneath, warm. As it’s been braised for a long time, the meat falls apart at the fat so you end up with a piece of sweet, tender pork and a slab of jiggling fat.
Shredded pork stir fried with Peking sauce, served with steamed plain bun ($16.80)
I’ve always like this dish; soft threads of pork are covered in a sweet and salty sauce and eaten with fluffy buns. To me, this is similar to Peking Duck in a way (especially since it uses the same sauce). I would actually like these buns stuffed with meat.
In an area that seems to be full of Shanghainese restaurants, New Shanghai does pretty well for itself. It has nice food, quick service (once you’re seated), and good interior design going for it. Be prepared to stand outside and wait, especially on Fridays.

New Shanghai

273 Liverpool Rd
Ashfield NSW
Website

New Shanghai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment